Geodesy in Tartu between two world wars

In 1929–1930, commissioned by the Baltic Geodetic Commission, measurements of the geographical longitude were carried out in Tartu and Pulkovo. Robert Livländer (1903–1944) defended his Doctoral thesis in 1931 on the same theme (“Determination of the Longitude of the Tartu Observatory by Wireless”). For the country’s geodetic basic network under the supervision of Livländer and Herbert Muischneek (1903–1966) one hundred-meter-long control base was established in Tartu on the Dome Hill. Muischneek tried to study the horizontal movements of the earth crust with the help of astronomical observations. His research was stopped by the war.

In 1920 E. Schoenberg as a representative of the Finnish Institute of Geodesy started geodetic measurement on the Northern Estonian coast but the work was not completed (Г.Желнин. Основные астрономо-геодезические работы на территории Эстонской Советской Социалистической Республики с 1811 по 1940 год: диссертация ... кандидата физико-математических наук. Тартуский государственный университет, 1950)
In 1925-1935 the program agreed at the Baltic Geodetic Commission was carried out in Estonia. The simple triangulation chain was formed, the Finnish and the Latvian measurements were connected, 22 points were determined astronomically. An overview map of the geodetic work done in the Republic of Estonia until 1940 (Г. Желнин. Основные астрономо-геодезические работы на территории Эстонской Советской Социалистической Республики с 1811 по 1940 год: диссертация ... кандидата физико-математических наук. Тартуский государственный университет, 1950)
Robert Livländer working with transit instrument (TO)