Bastions, ruins and the garrison

In the last quarter of the 17th century the Swedes built the belt of bastions round the Dome Hill in conformity with the new rules of warfare. The ruins of the castle and the Dome Church were used as building material.At the beginning of the 18th century the town was again conquered by the Russian troops. Not willing to keep any single fortified point untouched for the opponent, Russians systematically exploded all the fortifications of Tartu and burnt down the city in 1708. The citizens were deported to Russia. The Great Northern War (1700-1721) ended with a defeat for Sweden, leaving Russia as the new major power in the Baltic Sea area. The Russian garrison was housed in the barracks of the Dome Hill.

The map of the town with bastions from Arvid Moller`s book “Fata Dorpati”, 1704.
The fall of Tartu in 1708 made the organist of the church of Puhja Käsu Hans to write the famous poetry „Tears of Tartu“ (EAA. 1253-3-1. L. 10).