1946

the Institute of Physics, Mathematics and Mechanics at the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian S.S.R. was founded. The Tartu Observatory was subordinated to it. The observatory grew into the Institute of Physics and Astronomy and in 1974 it became the Institute of Astronomy and Atmospheric Physics. These are the predecessors of the present-day Tartu Observatory.

Ülo-Ilmar Veltmann (with binocular), Ants Kurvet and Ülo Sõstra watching the noctilucent clouds, Tartu, 1958 (Photo: G. Paas, EFA. 0-17672)