First geodetic expeditions on the territory of Estonia
On the territory of Estonia the first geodetic expedition was the mapping of the River Emajõgi by Magnus Georg Paucker in 1808–1809 the result of which was published only in 1855.
It was followed by the geodetic measurement of Livonia, commissioned by the Livonian Society of Generally Useful and Economic Affairs from Tartu University and it was carried out by F. G. W. Struve in the years 1816–1819. The work was done for making an exact topographical map of Livonia which was necessary for the development of economic life including the implementation of the provisions of the Law on the Livonian Peasantry which demanded that the taxation of the farms should be in conformity with the size and the quality of their land. Because of the resistance of the local landlords – they were afraid of the new governmental taxes – Carl Gottlieb Rücker (1778–1856) completed the map only in 1839.